top of page

Addition to Historic Mark Twain Library - Redding, CT


Cuono Engineering is honored to be a part of the newly designed Pergola and outdoor seating area designed by Seventy Acres Landscape Architecture & Design for the Mark Twain Library in Redding, Connecticut, founded in 1908 by renowned American, Samuel Clemens, better known as Mark Twain. Twain moved to his new home in Redding in June 1908 and within five months of his move, formed the Mark Twain Library Association with his neighbors, which still governs the library to this day. Tragically, On Christmas Eve, 1909, Twain’s daughter, Jean passed away. Using the $6000 proceeds from the sale of her farm, he erected the Jean L. Clemens Memorial Building – the original Mark Twain Library.

After Twain’s death in 1910, the newly constructed library was opened, serving the Redding community. Later in 1972, a circular addition was constructed, quadrupling the size of the library. In 2000 a new children’s wing was added. Currently, the original building serves as a meeting room which also houses what remains of the books Twain donated to the library. The Mark Twain Library has continued to grow since then as a community resource that provides public library services to the town of Redding, including what will be a beautiful new addition of a pergola and outdoor seating area.

Cuono Engineering is providing the structural design for a 14’ tall free-standing aluminum pergola at the Mark Twain Library of Redding CT. The pergola will blend with landscape architecture updates to create an outdoor seating area for patrons. It will be constructed adjacent to the arched/curved library building and will be designed to match the radius of the existing building, consisting of strip and spread foundations placed at the level of existing foundations, supporting several aluminum columns bearing curved rectangular beams. Spanning between the continuous curved beams will be rectangular purlins cantilevered at each end.



Comments